Sunday, November 30, 2014

Feliz Día de Acción de Gracias

Feliz Día de Acción de Gracias. Happy Thanksgiving and holiday season from Guatemala! Can you believe that I have been here exactly one month now? I certainly cannot. This month has flown past, but it has been one of the best months of my life.

I have been learning so much. Between going to language school four hours every morning and having a one-on-one private tutor in Spanish and then spending anywhere from 4-6 hours at the Oasis each day of the week, I'm getting a little bit of Spanish overload. But it's so good. I can actually communicate now! Thank you, Jesus.

These are the three beautiful sisters that my family supports here in Guate. They are such a wonderful example of what little girls should look like when God is restoring them and making them new. Their story still gets me every time I hear it or think about it, but they are a prime example of why the Oasis ministry needs to be in existence. This picture was taken after I had been talking with them about my exam in language school. I told them that it had gone well. After a few more sentences in the conversation, one of the girls looked at me and said, "I can tell you're getting better and understanding us and able to talk with us better." Such sweet and encouraging words to my soul.

Even better, my homework for the day of Thanksgiving was to take pictures and show my teacher/tell her all about the feast that we had at the Oasis. Over 100 people were present and it was such a fun time. We didn't eat until about 4, but we had so much food and there was so much laughter and happiness. I got to play American Football with some of the girls and jump in the trampoline and just have fun being in their company. Also, some of my good friends from language school came to join in on the fun.


Though the day wasn't spent with the people I usually celebrate with, it was such a fun and encouraging day. I have so much to be grateful here in my little corner of the world. I even got to Skype home with Jenny, to a house full of family and friends!

Here are some pictures from the feast and some of the missionaries in attendance!


This week, I also got to attend my first set of group counseling sessions. The sessions weren't what I was expecting, but then again, they were doing perception tests. I got to help all of the girls and speak with them and talk to the counselor who was so excited to have someone else there. I look forward to when the sessions won't just be tests, but I'm excited that my job here is really beginning. And folks, I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

On top of all of the exciting things happening, I also drove to school three times this week (on my own!), had my first experience hanging out the door of the school bus on the way into Antigua via Camioneta, and went black friday (Black Weekend) shopping in Guatemala city with my sister and our other housemate. So much fun.

This was a fantastic week and I am so grateful for all that I got to experience. I think I'm starting to get used to life here in Guatemala and right now I am loving it. I am beyond grateful for the opportunity to live and work here. Thank you for participating in getting me this far, for rooting for me, for sitting on the side lines as I plunge in, and for supporting me.

"In ordinary life we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

May you be filled with an over abundance of gratitude as we celebrate the holiday season. Both today and every day, we can find joy in the simple things, if only we remember to give thanks.





No comments:

Post a Comment