Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Bienvenidos a Guatemala


I have finally made it to Guatemala and I am loving it here. Today I am simply going to post a few pictures and describe them a little bit. I plan on writing more this weekend. Currently I cannot manage to muster up the energy to tell many stories. Language school drains a lot from me.

So this will have to do.


Anywho. The first two pictures, the panorama and then the photo of Jenny and I, were taken at Lake Atitlan. It is one of the most gorgeous places on earth. And we went on such a gorgeous day. There are three volcanoes on the lake, but in the panorama, you can only see two of them as one is straight behind the other. Last weekend, my first weekend here, Jenny had to go to the Lake to figure out some information regarding kayaking for a conference event that she is helping to plan. Of course I wanted to go along for the 2.5 hour windy ride each way. I'm so happy we went. We got to see a town on the lake (Santiago) which I have never been to before and we took a boat across, as well as just enjoyed the warmth. It was at least 20 degrees warmer than it was in San Lucas, my always cold new home.
Next you see a picture of a decked out school bus. While I myself did not take this photo, this is indeed one of my "trusty steeds" that brings me to school. At 7:25 every morning, I hop on a bus in San Lucas (where I am living) and head into Antigua. As long as all goes properly, I get off the bus around 7:50 and quick walk 10 blocks in Antigua to my school, arriving by 8:00am.


You would think I would be used to riding a school bus after 13 years of practice in the public school system. Please let me kindly correct you. Or if you already know what a chicken bus is, then you can just re-imagine for yourself what it is like. This painted bus is an old, retired school bus from the U.S. that has long since passed it's prime and definitely could not pass inspection in the states, yet 100 people OR MORE get on this bus with me every morning to go into Antigua. There are generally 7-10 people in a row that usually holds 4-6 elementary students and MAYBE one of those 7-10 people is a little person, if you're lucky. I promise I'm not exaggerating. I have counted!!!! The first morning I rode on the bus, I couldn't help but laugh to myself at the comedy unfolding before my eyes as person after person smushed through me and every turn and curve in the road sent me or the person next to me flying. And since I am a 5'8'' white female, I have the tendency to stand a head or two higher on the bus than everyone around me, when I'm not lucky enough to get to sit... so it's always entertaining for those around me to watch my reactions to situations on the bus.

I'm generally not a touchy feely person and the aroma (a mixture of air pollution (dust, gasoline, etc..) and sweat and sometimes animals or food) that fills the bus is enough to make you sick. I was petrified the first time I got on the bus, but after a week of riding it to and from school, I've become much more comfortable. It's definitely an experience, though can be very dangerous, as I hear of robberies almost daily and sometimes even murders, but the need to get to and from school outweighs the danger. God has had His angels watching over me and I have learned that the bus isn't something to fear. It's something to be smart about. It can also be kind of fun.

Below is a picture of my bedroom. It's a panorama from inside my closet... I just thought I'd include this and let you know I'm making myself at home. I'm starting to call this home too, so that's exciting. I have told several people in passing, "Oh, yes, I live in San Lucas." Later I think to myself, I REALLY AM LIVING IN SAN LUCAS! This isn't a dream anymore Heidi. This is reality for now.


I have many more pictures to come and stories about the girls and adventures I have been having in Guatemala, but this is enough for one night.

Buenas noches. Hasta Luego.



No comments:

Post a Comment